Saturday, April 21, 2012
It's Wednesday evening and I am delightfully interrupted from my reality TV marathon by a sweet, familiar waft coming from the kitchen. It's the kind that draws you in with its elusive white smoke like a candy trail, only this one leads me to humble mother, not a wicked witch.
She's made her famous graham cookies and my mouth is already watering at the thought of the first robust, nutty bite. I should be wondering how my working mom found the time and energy to make these gourmet-looking treats on a week night, but I'm not - because I know her secret. She made them in 5 minutes.
Alas, the 5 minute cookie that should be in every woman's repertoire.
Graham Cookies with Butter Brown Sugar and Roasted Almonds
Every time I'm about to bite into one of my mom's graham cookies, I anticipate the delighful crunch and chalky texture followed by its sweet molasses flavour. Have these with chamomile tea or a big glass of the white stuff - no dunking allowed.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter (or margarine)
Roasted slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add sugar and mix.
3. Place graham crackers on wax paper. Sprinkle roasted almonds on dry graham cracker.
4. Pour sugar mix on graham cookie + almonds.
5. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.